I hope you will take this small information packet (link) back to your institution to share with the department Chair and student leaders to consider chartering a chapter of the Sigma Iota Rho National Honor Society for International Studies (S.I.R.) on your campus. This packet will guide you through the process of establishing a nationally-sanctioned chapter of the honor society on your campus, and presents the benefits that come with Sigma Iota Rho membership. One of these benefits, the opportunity for student publication in The Journal of International Relations, is addressed specifically in an enclosed "Call for Papers." Please take note of the deadline for submissions and make use of the provided examples for soliciting submissions by email and flyer.
Establishment as a chapter of Sigma Iota Rho requires submission of the following:
- a letter stating your interest to establish a local chapter of S.I.R.
- a draft constitution or by-laws (available on request)
- a copy of your school's international affairs major requirements
- designation of the person who will serve on the national council as your representative (this is typically the Faculty Advisor to the chapter)
- designation of the student who will serve as the student chapter President
- a $150.00 payment to establish the chapter
In addition, each student who joins your chapter will be required to contribute a $45.00 fee for member inception. This fee includes the Sigma Iota Rho Certificate upon induction, a SIR lapel pin, graduation regalia (honor cords are included-- stoles inscribed with "SIR" are available for an additional $18.00), a copy of S.I.R.'s Journal of International Relations, occasional newsletters, and access to professional networks. As a national recognized chapter you will be allowed to determine separate local dues that you deem appropriate.
We will review your application packet usually within a week's time. Best wishes in completing the charter process and we look forward to working with you in the year ahead.